Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Graduation 2010

Graduation ceremonies are so inspiring. There's nothing like watching a group of young people take that next big step into the future. Friday's graduation at Bridgeway was my first since joining the staff, and the emotion in the room was quite apparent. For many of our families, seeing their students in cap and gown was a moment they thought they might never experience. The pride shone through the tears. Thank you graduates and families, for letting me share that experience. And thank you James Huggard for giving me permission to share an excerpt from your valedictory speech. Enjoy!

Rhonda


Valedictorian Speech
James Huggard
June 25, 2010

Welcome everyone to the 2010 Bridgeway Academy graduation ceremony.

My name is James Huggard and I am speaking to you today because my classmates have given me the honour of speaking on their behalf as this year’s Valedictorian.

I came to Bridgeway in January 2007. In my former schools I had trouble with schoolwork, I had a hard time making friends and school was JUST not fun. I seriously just did not want to go to school anymore. I had lost my desire to try. When my parents found Bridgeway and suggested it to me, I wanted to come here.

Since I’ve been here, I have learned many things – not just how to LEARN, but how to function and survive. Organization is a big problem for me and after 4 years with my Bridgeway Agenda, school life is much easier. Let’s not forget the colour coding which worked so well that it actually applies to my real life, such as all my candy piles and laundry hampers, (which I still don’t use).

Friendships as well have become easier to make and maintain since I learned better social skills and I found a new RESPECT for others and myself.

Here, I found teachers who truly CARED about every student and made us feel special.

And finally by being here, I discovered I wasn’t the only person in the world having trouble with school and this place made me realize I COULD learn and I COULD make friends and I COULD have a future.

Speaking of that future, I am pleased to say that I have been accepted into St Mary’s University in the fall where I will be studying for my Bachelor of Arts degree. I will be taking History, English and Sociology courses and may eventually take my Education Degree. Imagine – maybe some day I will come back and become a teacher at Bridgeway Academy!

I would like to take this opportunity to quickly thank a few people who - without their support none of us would be here.

I would like to thank Mrs Low for starting Bridgeway Academy many years ago. Because of this school, we all have a chance for a great future.

I want to say thank-you to all the teachers we have had over the past number of years - for their dedication to all of us, for believing in us and teaching us to believe in ourselves. You are all very special people and we know you are proud of us today.

To Ms Fielder – thank you for being a mentor to me. Your support over the years has meant a lot to me and to my family.

Ms Fielder wrote a poem in 2007 describing what it meant to be a teacher at Bridgeway Academy. It is called “TODAY”.
It begins and ends with the sentence “Today I was a teacher” and THAT says it all!

Last but not least I want to say a big THANK YOU to our families for giving us the opportunity to attend the best little school in the world!

In closing I want to share with you an old saying which I’m sure everyone knows which is, “TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE”.

Today is our graduation day, which is our last day of high school and indeed the first day of the rest of our lives.

Congratulations and GOOD LUCK to all my fellow students on this special day.

And remember,“Don’t stop believing!”

No comments:

Post a Comment