Friday, June 11, 2010

Scott's story

On May 20, we held our ninth annual Silver Lining Soiree. This is a fundraising event in support of our school and our programs. The importance of what we do for kids with learning disabilities was really brought forward by the two Bridgeway alumni who spoke - Scott Craig and Ellen Benoit-Colling. Below you'll find the text of Scott's speech. I'll share Ellen's remarks in a few days.

I would first like to thank everyone for coming to Bridgeway’s Silver Lining Soiree. About 20 years ago, I was a student at Bridgeway. When I was attending Bridgeway, there were only three other students and it was in the basement of a church. It was here that I found a place that the teachers would listen and would answer my questions. Years before this, I attended several different schools both in the public and private systems in Ontario and Nova Scotia. What I remember from these schools is that I would sit with my hand up and no one would answer. I remember coming home from school and telling my mom that I wasn’t going back. From that point on, my mom became my biggest advocate. She searched out schools all over the province and once she found Bridgeway she knew it was for me.

When I came to Bridge way in the 1980’s, I met Cindy Low. She was one of the first people I met at a school who understood me and how I learned best. Ms. Low helped to develop a school that not only encourages children to be self-advocates, but also to develop learning strategies to be able to thrive within any occupation that the student may choose later in life.

For me, the greatest thing that Bridgeway gave me was organizational skills. I was also taught to be a self-advocate so that I had the ability to know my strengths and ask for help with my limitations. Even today when ever I have a university paper, I complete it a few days before it is due so my wife, Emily, can proof read it. I also want to say “Thank you” to Microsoft for installing spell check and grammar check. I owe you one.

Today I stand in front of you within my undergraduate degree from the University of New Brunswick with a Bachelor of Science, my Education degree, my Masters in Education with a specialization in curriculum development, and I am currently enrolled in my 2nd masters specializing in sport education. I have been a teacher for the Halifax Regional School Board for the past nine years and currently I teach grade seven in Sackville with the subject areas of math, science and health.

Each September when I meet my new students at the beginning of the year, I share with them that I have a learning disability. I tell them that school was hard for me and that when I was their age, the last thing I expected to become was a teacher. Bridgeway helped me recognize myself as a learner and it has helped me to show many of my students that with the right strategies, all students can learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment