Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Changing lives

My favourite part of working at Bridgeway is hearing the stories that our students and families share.  It is always so moving to hear the ways that Bridgeway has made a difference in their lives.  The accomplishments our students are most proud of are often the ones that many of us take for granted. 

Christian was our Class of 2011 valedictorian this year.  He has kindly given me permission to share the following exerpts from his speech.  Read and be moved... 

Rhonda

First I would like to welcome you all to Bridgeway Academy’s graduation ceremony for the class of 2011.  It means a lot to me and the other members of the graduating class to have this opportunity to celebrate something that not too long ago many would have doubted would ever come to pass.

When I first came to Bridgeway, I was an obese, depressed and nervous wreck of a person, who had zero confidence that I would ever achieve or amount to anything.  For all intents and purposes, I had given up on life.  As overly dramatic as it may sound, Bridgeway Academy was my last chance of having a life.  That was three years ago.  Now I stand before you a different...no, better individual than I was before, and it was only made possible by this school.

                I want to thank the school staff and administration for running and maintaining this place to the best of their abilities.  You do not get enough credit for the difficult job that you have.

                I thank all of the wonderful teachers we have here at Bridgeway Academy for their hard work and patience with all the students who attend this school.  It is without a doubt in my mind that you are the reason for this school’s success, not name, dating and colour coding.

                I want to thank my parents Ken and Cindy, for not only their love but for their persistence that I pursue my education.  Without it, I would have likely given up long ago.

                To my grandparents, Hank and Thelma, your love and patience make you the best neighbours anyone could ever ask for, and I am lucky to have you both.

                Finally, I would like to thank my friends who supported me.  Whose companionship helped me through the rough patches; you may never understand how grateful I am for your support.

We the Class of 2011 have finished high school and now look forward to what comes next.  We have prepared as best we can and have learned the necessary skills and tools needed for us to move into post-secondary education.  I am proud to say that each of us has been accepted into the university or college of our choosing and are all excited to start this coming September.  Although I can in no way guarantee that each of us will experience immediate success at these institutions, I am confident that this graduating class is as prepared as it will ever be for the challenges that may lie ahead.  Remember that you have faced adversity before and that you have found a way to overcome it.  Do not be afraid to make mistakes – it’s bound to happen – but I would advise you should avoid making them as much as possible, and that the ones you do make should serve to teach you something new.

I was 335 pounds and was regularly attending the IWK mental health program just three years ago, and there’s no reason why it could not have gotten worse.  But it didn’t.  I learned anyone can make changes in their life for the better; the only time you can’t is when you stop trying to do so.  So go forth onto those next few steps on the stairs we call life, and do so with the confidence that the only person that can hold you back is yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment