Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Isaac's definition of success - Feeling normal

Remember being a teen, when all you wanted to do was fit in?  Now imagine being a teen with a learning disability.  A different ability to learn can not only have a huge impact on self-esteem, but can also leave a teen feeling like a square peg in a round hole.

But don't take it from me.  Recently, Isaac told his story to more than 500 people at Dancing for our Stars.  The boisterous crowd was silent, and I spotted more than a few tears.  Thanks Isaac for letting me share your story here as well.

Rhonda

Good evening everyone.  I am honoured to be here tonight to tell you my story and how Bridgeway has changed my life.  My name is Isaac Healy and I am a grade 10 student at Bridgeway.  I came to Bridgeway in grade 8.

At a very young age I was diagnosed with a learning disability.   I attended regular school and never could feel 'normal' like the other kids.  I had a hard time with math and reading and almost everything.  An special learning program was developed for me in public school but all that did for me was make me feel different and useless and not smart.  I started to feel less confident in myself and at times left school crying. 

My Mom and Dad tried so hard to help but I just couldn't remember things or understand math.  Even simple adding and subtracting was a struggle for me.  I felt more and more alone as time went on.  No one seemed to be able to figure out how to help me.  I became very afraid that I would be called names like dumb or stupid.  That scared me alot.  Only 3 years ago in grade 7, I really started to feel different from everyone.  Going to school was scary and frustrating and a sad experience for me.  I just wanted to be like everyone else....read the same books, know the same math.  But I couldn't. 

Then my parents told me of a school that could help....Bridgeway Academy.  Bridgeway was the first school to identify my LD as dyscalculia which means I have trouble with math.  The teachers were so good.  They were patient and I began to learn a way that made sense to me.  I now know I can do math and that makes me feel so amazing.  I am excited to learn now and have the confidence to try new things.   I feel like a normal kid and in fact, feel smart.  I now feel so good about myself.  I still have alot to learn to catch up but if not for Bridgeway, I don't think I would have the chance to discover what I could become.   

There are so many kids out there like me that deserve the chance that I have at Bridgeway.  I am thankful for all the teachers at Bridgeway for giving me a positive outlook.  I like myself now and feel I can become anything I want to be.  I want to thank Mom and Dad for their support and for finding Bridgeway.  And thanks to Mrs Low and the Bridgeway teachers for finding out how I learn and helping me discover that I am smart. 

Kids with learning differences just need a school that can show us how to learn our own way.  Bridgeway is that school.

For more information on Bridgeway, please call 902-465-4800 or 1-888-435-3232 or visit http://www.bridgeway-academy.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment