Monday, November 7, 2011

The need for leaders who share their dyslexia

Rick Mercer ranted last week about the need for gay and lesbian adults to stand up as examples for youth who are being isolated and bullied because of their sexuality.  I would encourage all adults with learning disabilities to do the same.  To see a successful adult with LDs is an inspiration for youth (and their families) who can only see the struggle through school ahead.  And I don't mean just celebrity success stories like Henry Winkler, Danny Glover, Whoppi Goldberg and Tom Cruise.  I mean everyday heroes, the ones who are teaching or running a business or creating art or parenting.  I hope to connect with more and more of those local heroes and share their stories here.  (Suggestions welcome.)

In the meantime, I wanted to share the story of Philip Schultz, writer, poet and Pulitzer Prize winner.  He only realized he was dyslexic when his children were diagnosed with it.  Still, he's made a life as a master of words.  Here he is reading from his memoir, My Dyslexia, about his anxiety and his experiences with learning.




No comments:

Post a Comment